Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Little Victories


Well, today we had our doctors checkup. Will is 12 days old, and he's strong and alert. However, his weight has been a concern since day #1, and today was no different. They weighed him on a different scale today than usual, and he only checked in at 5lbs 4oz..... so....the doc wanted to make sure it was accurate, and had us re-weigh him on the scale we normally use-5lbs 1 oz?!
What is up??! He's been eating really heartily, and for long periods of time...but we think that might be part of the problem. He's burning more calories than he's taking in. SO...it's back on the 22 cal. supplements for this boy. At least until he shows signs of growth again. BUMMER! The doctor said if his weight doesn't start going up again soon, he might have to be hospitalized with a feeding tube. They would probably run tests at that point to make sure there's not a problem with his intestines or anything else that would be keeping him from keeping nourished.

I told Billy when Will was born so small, it gave he (Will) and I the chance to have these "little victories"...you know, teaching him how to suck properly, learning how to use the nipple shield, enticing with glucose water, using formula supplements, then weaning off of it all together... and finally being able to go with breastfeeding all the way....

So we're choosing today to see God's hand in this. He knows our boy needs to grow. He knows what's best for us all, and if this will be yet again, another "little victory" for us, then it's worth going through it. For now, I will do my best as a mom, to take my worry and fear, and turn it into some faith and trust in our God. Maybe I need to go eat some more calories so my milk will turn to GOLD :)

7 comments:

Deborah said...

You have a great attitude, Jamie! God is good. He knows exactly what Will needs! I will pray that he will start growing, and that you guys can ween him to just breastmilk again. I know that this can be frustrating, but God is in control!

Unknown said...

I know it is so hard... praying for Will to gain!!

Mama PC said...

he WILL gain - and yes, James - you some HIGH CAL foods, with lots of nutrients and vitamins (you still takin' your multi-vit prenatal?)

the supplements will beef him up. he is strong, and going for it, but wearing his little old self out with all the work! i'm proud of him! and you! and Billy!

hang in there and watch the little flower blossom in just a few days...

love!

May said...

He's getting bigger by the minute...keep stuffing him...like a turkey!

Unknown said...

pres was on that 22 cal mixed wth breastmilk for lke 4 months. its just cuz they are tiny weenies :) don't worry, they just need more calories when they are born so little. do what you're doing and don't worry. will is going to grow day by day and no feeding tubes!

May said...

Happy Birthday today Jamie! We will celebrate this weekend!

Anonymous said...

I was showing off my new grandson Will's pictures at school and the kids were marveling at how perfect his features were. I commented that he was such a little guy and one of my very tall and healthy male high school students told me that he weighed in at just 2 lbs. when he was born. Another Mom of twins said she had worries about weight when her twins were born, and they are big strapping 6 footers now. GO-Will- GO! I just know you're going catch up and take off. We love you!