Tuesday, June 16, 2009

It's all gonna' burn

This has been one CRAZY weekend! My Aunt Mary and cousins Mel, Jeremiah, David and Courtney spent the night Saturday after a fun time swimming and staying up late (some didn't crash til' 4:00am) playing games and hanging out. We went to sleep in a very chilly townhome (we like it that way), only to wake to it being 84 degrees inside! My aunt dragged herself into the living room, scratching her sleepy head asking if the a.c. had broke. IT HAD. Will's crib monitor was registering at 81...and the poor boy was sweatin' big time.

So we called the repair man in, and he fixed that bad boy up. It was wonderful to come home from a church event on Sunday to a very breezy home again.

Until last night, that is.

My parents were over for a visit when all of our smoke alarms went off around 9:00 pm. We smelled a very strong electrical fire smell, and smoke was filling our home. Billy turned our A.C. off and I rushed outside to get our son out of that stinky place. I banged on our neighbors door, because we couldn't find fire anywhere...but they wouldn't answer. It occured to us that we actually hadn't heard them (and believe me, those guitar hero boys can ALWAYS BE HEARD) for a few days....

I called 911.

They sent 2 firetrucks, but only 1 could get through our gate! LOL! So the other stood on standby. About 3 firemen ran into our home, and couldn't find fire anywhere. Where was this smoke coming from? and the smell?

They found a hotspot of 400 degrees in our guest bath ceiling! It was coming from the newly fixed Air Conditioner! The firemen said we did the right thing in calling them. Even though there wasn't an active fire, if Billy hadn't turned it off, it could have eventually sparked and started one! Thank God for his wisdom in that!

They turned our breaker off so the maintenance men could replace our whole unit. We couldn't stay home last night, because of the heat or the smell, so we came home with my parents. I'm sure they were really "put out" by their grandson staying the night :) Thankfully, Will ended up sleeping on my shoulder through the whole ordeal.

I think the hardest part about leaving was walking out the door, wondering if it would happen again while we were away. Then I remembered an old saying my cousin Danyne used to say...

"It's all gonna' burn!"
But, we'd really rather it not happen today if possible!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Yes, they tested for everything you can possibly imagine and more!

Michelle

lindsey brooke said...

wow--quite an adventure!!! :)

The Wiggins Family said...

That is crazy. I'm so glad everyone is okay. I think that line is from "That Thing You Do." hahaha.... I love the big picture of you and Will (I was wondering if the one of you and Billy would be replaced one day). It's precious!