Sunday, February 1, 2009

Sickness and Disease

With our due date a little under 5 weeks away, Billy and I ventured over to the hospital for a little hospital cafeteria food....AND our birthing classes. :) They were jam-packed into 1 long weekend. We learned SO MUCH! I mean, we’ve had friends who’ve told us what to expect (like 4, 000 different stories too), but to hear and see the actual event taking place made it even that much more real. I’ve seen Baby Story a thousand times, but it’s almost always high-risk deliveries, and they’re usually edited to the max anyway.


The instructor said that people always seem to be confused when ladies have “hospital births” mixing them up with all the other patients who come with SICKNESS and DISEASE. She said “pregnancy is not a SICKNESS”, and “You don’t have a DISEASE”. It was a good reminder that we were born for this! God made the female body to carry this child through 40 weeks of miraculous formation, and we were made to birth these children as naturally as possible! It was empowering. I leaned over to my “support person” a.k.a husband, and said “I AM WOMAN, HEAR ME ROARRRRRR!”


Lamaze has gotten away from their stereotypical “hee-hee-hooo’s” in breathing, and really made some efforts to teach women to find their very most natural and comfortable way of deeply or shallowly breathing in order to stay calm and relaxed. We got to practice those techniques and figure out what works best for us. It was fun. It reminded me of my vocal warm ups before a big singing competition or concert…if you can really use your diaphragm and breathe right, you relax and stretch the rest of your body, just like you would your vocal chords.


We also had some fun with pilates balls, handheld relaxation tools, and music. We learned several ways we can use a squatting bar, or our partner for support and counter-pressure. It was great and helpful and now I’m not nearly as anxious about what to expect. We have quite a few options to be really active during labor if we want to be. I’m really gonna’ TRY to stay as un-medicated as possible (please pray for me, lol). I’m not ruling it all out, and won’t feel like a failure if I end up asking for a little epidural action, but I am doing my best to go meds free…it’s better for the baby, and I know it’s a much better recovery for me too.


I think my biggest fear and anxiety before was the claustrophobic feeling I might experience with the medical staff being too darn invasive, or cords keeping me tied to my bed, or the potential use of drugs that may keep me from feeling much of my body…but now that this boy’s dropping a little, and I’m breathing better and more naturally again, and now that I have so much more information on what my options to relax and be focused on the right things are, the more I think I’ll be just fine.

All in all, I can do this! I AM WOMAN AND I WAS MADE FOR THIS!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

how exciting. those classes were so great! one thing that they didn't tell me and wasn't prepared for is that if you come in and your water is broken or when they break it, they pretty much put you in the bed and don't want you getting up much. i was bummed about that and it made my labor much harder. i wish i could have walked around and worked hayden out the natural way. oh well, the epidural was great, i got rested so i could push for a shorter time and only had to push for 30 min. it was heaven! that was the easiest part. recovery was no big deal. i was up and walking about an hour or less later.

the pre-drugs to the epidural (nubane and something else) that they offer you for "taking the edge off" are ridiculous. They make you almost incoherant and you go in and out of consciousness. that is not cool and i hated that.

you are going to be awesome! can't wait to hear the call that you are in labor and little dude is on his way.

Melissa said...

The way it was for Linds wasn't the way it was for me... I was up the whole time for most of all of my labors, and my water was broken or had broken in the beginning of all of them, and I was hooked to an IV because I have always been group b strep +. It is true that you will be much more comfortable for the most part out of the bed. You can do this, and feel free to let the nurses know if you want to do something different than what they are wanting...aside from emergencies, it is your labor.

Have you seen this???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3WA9iHz5ww

It was quite inspiring for me...being a singer and all....thought I'd pass it on.

Mama PC said...

that was an awesome utube with laboring mama singing.... and trusting.... and resting in the work....

Jamie said...

Thanks for your help and info ladies :) I know you've had some experience and that's always helpful. Oh yeah, and that mama in the video is quite an inspiration..makes me want to try for a home birth next time too, lol. Maybe I should have Aaron bring his guitar up to the hospital and we'll sing a few tunes to take the edge off.

KriSTeN said...

make sure if you do ask for an epidural you want it low enough to feel pressure. i was at a one all day that saturday and thought i was being ripped in half (every woman progresses differently of course) and the meds they gave me made me very incoherent but i felt all of it... when i got the epidural it was amazing and helped me get some rest (pushing for one hour was very tiring) but i could feel the pressure to push at least an hour before i was a 10. so when it came time to push i kept my epidural but could feel every time a contraction came and i pushed "off the charts" according to the doctor... i hope you have a much better delivery than i did. and yes dont be upset if you do need meds. your baby will need you so much once he is born and wont care how you delivered him. just as long as you are there to love and take care of him! God bless you both. you can do it!

Mama PC said...

oh, and don't be surprised if you feel totally different than what others say they felt during labor... you know how some say it brought so much comfort to be touched by their husband, or he was rubbing their shoulder or arm and being right there with them...

for me, i was, like, please don't touch me and please go to the other side of the room... for some reason i was totally needing to be still, quiet and alone... so, billy don't be surprised if it doesn't go exactly by the books...and yes, if she throws something at you... she still wants you there ... just give a bit of space when she asks for it... it's nothing "personal".

love you guys! :-)