Friday, July 25, 2008

Tumm ta tum tumm

TUMS!!!

Are my new best friend :) I feel like the abominable snow man meeting Daffy Duck for the first time- "I Will Name Him George, and I Will Hug Him, and Pet Him, and Squeeze Him."....
Tums a.ka. "George" are my lifesavers-I carry them with me to work, I carry them to the kitchen table, I carry them to my bed, I carry them to the car....I carry them with me wherever I go! Oh and those flavors. I can't get enough of the red ones-they're like candy! Okay, so I'm not that bad, but they have given me a better day overall lately. I was fighting puking the whole drive home wednesday, and it was due to the acid reflux that had been choking me all day. Needless to say, my husband was my hero as he scavenged to find the Tums. Yeehaw.

Other than that, I've been sleeping like a baby-lol-or not so much like a baby as a baby DOESN'T SLEEP! I've wanted nothing more than a drooling nap/crash as soon as I walk in the door. My poor husband has been making himself dinner or taking me out for nearly every night for the past 2 weeks. He's a great sport, bringing me toast or saltines in the morning (those are life savers too!) and a swig of caffeine free coke to ease the acidic stomach pains.

I've been feeling nauseaus off and on, but for the most part, it's been controllable. I chew gum and try to always snack or drink something at all times. Coke and sprite and some fruit teas have helped quite a bit.

As far as food aversions, I think mine are attributed more to the actual preparation of food, not to the food itself.

For instance: I bought an array of groceries to make some really tasty chimichangas and chalupas with rice and beans. Okay, so that entire day at work I kept gagging every time I thought about that RAW BLOODY FAJITA MEAT in my fridge!! I called Billy and told him if he wanted the meat on his, he would have to make it before I got home and then air out the house. Then...I told him I COULD NOT deep fry the burritos, I just couldn't even think about hot oil! Which then put a kink in my plans for homemade refried beans. I asked Billy "can't I just take the pinto beans and use those instead?" he said "but that wouldn't be refried"....so I told him "I can't even think about popping hot oil all over me! Oh and that ungodly smell! Bleh, baby, I can't talk about this I'm gonna throw up". So he asked "what about lard? can you use lard instead of oil?" I go "hmmm, I think I can handle lard. Yeah lard may be okay, it doesn't make me gag".

We went out for dinner :)

So sleepy, nauseaus, and heartburn! Those are my themes for the past 8 weeks! Oh and OBLIVIOUS! I've lost my head for real! I can't remember names, or vocabulary words to save my life. This baby's taking all my smarts for sure. But's it's all good! Maybe he/she will be a genius and pay for our retirement someday!

We get to go see the doctor for the first time Monday! They will do a sonogram so we'll try to get that up here asap!

Thank you all for your love and help during this fun new season in our life. I guess you really do have no idea what's it's like until you've gone through it.

8 comments:

Melissa said...

LOL! You are surely pregnant! :)

With Carson I had more of an aversion to food prep and specific foods then true morning sickness too. Oh, and I've probably gone through 10 bottles of tums just in the last few months! Smooth dissolve are THE BEST!! :) And the memory...it gets worse each time, I swear! It's like your body is working so hard on everything else that your brain can't think too. :) Don't feel too bad though. :) All of your symptoms are right on track for a healthy babe! :)

Unknown said...

Yeah for pregnancy symptoms! Oh Mel, I just remembered your funny story when you were preg. with Carson, when the lady asked you something out your shopping basket and you picked it up to show her...lol. Thinking is not required during pregnancy :)

Oh and if no one has prepped your for your first ultrasound...please call me...there is something you should know, that I did not get a warning about :)

Michelle said...

oh that first ultrasound.......something you will never forget...he he
Good luck!!!! can't wait to see the pictures.

KriSTeN said...

oh gosh. my husband works a lot but let's just say that for almost ten weeks i have done ZERO cooking... nothing sounds good and if something does sound good i eat it. and it's not the healthiest but i dont care... i am doing better now at 14 weeks... but still every day i come home and take a nap. if i dont i am so tired i have to be in bed no later than eight...it is a very trying experience but it's wonderful. congrats...
i experienced heartburn for the FIRST time in my life about two or three weeks ago. and yes tums saves you... but hang in there i hear it gets way worse toward the end...
hope your dr. app. goes great!!! congrats again!

The Wiggins Family said...

Oh Jamie! I love the stories. I know it's crazy. I remember the no cooking phase, raw meat ...yuck! I didn't cook for 10 weeks straight with Zachary. Lots of frozen meals, eating out... we got through it and you will too. The second trimester should turn things around. Energy level back, eating, not memory... that may be gone for awhile and nursing takes it away too. Love you!

alicia said...

That is hilarious! It is so funny to read about everything that you have experienced. It is so true that your memory gets worse with each pregnancy too. I feel like I have forgot sooo many things this time around. In order to leave the house I probably take several trips back and forth remembering to go grab this or that. Caleb must think I am a nut for getting in and out of the car! It's a good thing he has his movies to watch to keep him entertained! Once you get out of that first trimester the second one is something to look forward to but not the third. I am beginning to become a miserable person to be around. I am at the point where I am starting to want to just see this little girl's face and not feel her pushing my hip bones out of her way or moving my ribs so that she can get more comfortable! I know that she needs more time in there to get healthy but it is starting to hurt now. I am excited to see your first ultrasound pic! Post as soon as you can.

Deborah said...

Oh that was a fun read!!! Hilarious! You are too cute! I look forward to all of your future blogs during this pregnancy!! have fun at the doctor today...it's gonna be memorable!! :) (in more ways than one!!)

lindsey brooke said...

Amen to the thought of hot oil--i cannot stand it! you wouldn't believe the smells of hot oil floating through jinja... everything is fried... there is no escaping it! no going in your nice closed off air conditioned house, or workplace or car... it just follows you wherever you go. it rules the air... Goodbye appetite! :)