1st-The humongous blog I'm about to write will explain why I haven't been online too much over the past 2 weeks
2nd-I finally got an explanation as to why my son was born IUGR (growth restricted) and SGA (small for gestational age).
On Cinco de Mayo we took Will in for his 2 month checkup/shots. Billy and I had done a lot of research on the pros/cons and it was a tough decision-not only because of the risks of the vacinnes themselves, but also because his low birthweight puts him in a more dangerous zone for SIDS. We opted to go ahead with 3 of the normal 4 vaccinnes they give (2 in the thighs and 1 orally), after having a really long discussion with our doctor.
He's been in practice for quite a long time now, and has seen several "fads" come and go when it comes to this arena of medicine. He's also seen a major decrease in the number of patients he has to treat for sicknesses like Meningitis. With Will being so small, it was in his best interest that we went forward with them, especially since they are much more pure in form now.
Mom spent a few nights with us after that. We wanted to be sure someone was always "on duty" to watch the boy (mom calls him the "watched one" hehe) Thanfully, Will took them like an old pro, and the only major reaction we saw in him was fatigue for a day or so. He desired to eat (good sign), slept well (major plus), barely even had a fever (if any), and wasn't even cranky.
At that same visit, he was given a Prevacid prescription. I think (from researching on my own) he was dealing with some silent reflux. He HARDLY EVER spits up, but I would see him "chew the cud" and arch his back with screams of pain sometimes when he was eating or he'd wake up screaming in the middle of the night (and it wasn't hunger). I read that babies with reflux don't always spit up, but instead spit into their mouths, and then swallow it back down. This means it burns coming up and back down and if it goes untreated, it can make sores on their little esophogus. Ouch! I think he may have been in pain, and it made him eat a litle less than he should be. So he hadn't been gaining as much weight as they'd like to see. At least he's still growing consistently. They tested his liver function, salt/acid levels in his blood among a few others I can't even remember.
The doctor said his liver function was good, and the only test that came back a little high was his carbon dioxide (acid). He said it's not always accurate if you just have blood samples, so he took urine and more blood today to re-test. That was actually a funny experience, as he peed on the table BEFORE the nurse could insert the catheter...then she waited and got a little in the tube....gave up and took it out and then he peed on the table again! She was laughing hysterically and yelling "Oh William! You could have asked us for a cup if that's what you wanted!".
We're praying for the test to show PH balanced blood in our sweet baby! We don't want to have to put him on any more meds, or see any specialists if at all possible. The doc also encouraged us today that Will is really on a steady growth pattern, and this just may be his "normal". He's been consistent, and it's "sufficient" growth for his age, even if it's not the usual "7 oz per week". He looked at Will and said "You're just gonna' be a thin guy huh?" and then looked back at us "yeah, I think he's just gonna' be thin, and maybe tall" (I mean you'd sure think so after you look at those feet!) :)
SO....the other big event of the past few weeks was receiving the lab results from my own blood panel (remember the 14 viles??)
Turns out I have a few conditions I never knew about. Also turns out that most women never even know they have these problems until they've had multiple miscarriages or even stillborn babies all the way up to the 3rd trimester! We realized after reading posting after posting of these testimonies, just how much of a miracle William Riley is! He must have quite a destiny ahead to be so strong and to have gone through so much in the womb!
I am a Thrombophiliac.
I have a low lupus anticoagulant which is supposed to keep my blood from clotting (it's one of the 3 protein strands that do).
I also have a mutated gene (it's inherited) called MTHFR that affects my homocysteine levels, thus causing hyperhomocysteinemia. High levels of homocysteine can be related to vascular diseases, strokes, and deep vein thrombosis *(blood clots) and embolisms. Normally Folic acid keeps this in check, but not everybody converts it properly from their foods/supplements. It's actually very common in a number of people, but doesn't seem to be symptomatic until pregnancy or later in life.
I will tell you that I believe God gave me wisdom during my pregnancy with Will. During the 1st trimester, I was taking extra doses of Folic acid along with my prenatals. After I had a UTI, I started taking Cranberry pills (totally helps ya'll) and found out just recently that those are natural blood thinners! I also read a list of foods that help thin your blood, and I CRAVE and eat SO MANY of those foods already! I feel like God was taking care of both of us during the entire 40 weeks. Will could have had neural tube defects among many other complications, but God's hand was on him and he is a healthy (just "thin") boy!
From this point forward, especially during pregancies, I will be on low dose aspirin, or other blood thinners, as well as higher doses of Folic Acid and the B vitamins. Billy and I started walking daily in our gym. He's supporting my efforts to be healthier, and says it's time to lose his "pregnancy weight" :)
Crazy. My doctors didn't even think it was necessary for me to have these tests. They said the blood clots in the placenta were just "random".
I will be honest, at first, when they called with the results I just cried.
When they told me the blood clots weren't just "random" I was relieved.
When they told me the blood clots weren't just "random" I was terrified.
What about future babies? What about our dream of a big family? Was I risking future babies lives? and my own life, what about my own life?My cousin called and gave me truth. It completely put peace in my heart. She said "God is the one who placed that dream in your heart and if it's His will it will be fulfilled. He's not going to let the enemy come and steal a dream He gave you".
God loves his kids. God loves me. and I really think God gave us this news now so we can live healthier lives, be better prepared and give a testimony of His goodness. This is the time when our faith has to step up above our feelings. It's certainly been a test, to say the least.
Will is a miracle no doubt about it. We look forward to future miracles.
P.S. I told you this was gonna' be a long one :)

6 comments:
wow, that's a VERY furry blanket! :)
That's awesome Jamie. To have so many questions and then get answers and then to have such awesome faith in our awesome God! I will keep you in my prayers from time to time and remember to pray for your dream of a big family. God is great and is still doing miracles. I think we sometimes forget that miracles can still happen. We sometimes think that they happened in the bible but I know my God does miracles still today and I am glad you shared that story with us!
I was diagnosed with the exact same thing, only after a blood clot put me in the hospital for 8 days when Jacob was 3 mths old. You will be just fine. The good thing is that you have this knowledge now and you can be better prepared for any future pregnancies. I had to take daily shots of Lovenox while prego with Jen. It was a pain, but look at the outcome...a beautiful, healthy baby and a problem-free pregnancy. God is good and so faithful! I remember my doctor asking me if I had ever had any miscarriages and he was very surprised to hear that I hadn't. He even went as far as to tell me that he was surprised that I was able to carry Jacob to full term. I too feel like I have a miracle Son that God has awesome plans for! Can hardly wait to see what those plans are for Jacob & Will!!
PTL! I've been praying for you and little Will. It's so great to see that gorgeous smile on him! It's good that you got to the bottom of all this, medically. God is indeed faithful - always! We praise Him for your miracle son. We had a friend whose baby was not growing well in utero and completely stopped growing (but didn't stop maturing) after about six months gestation. Doctors urged them to abort, but they kept trusting God. Their beautiful daughter was born very small, but is now a bright and healthy eight-year-old. God is so good!
I have the homozygous MTHFR where you have both the C677T and A1298C mutation. Do you have both forms or just one? Your mother needs to get checked also because you got it from 1 or both of your parents and it increase heart problems in older people. My mother has one form of the mutation so that means my father has the other mutation. They are both on an aspirin a day and my mother and I take a 2 FaBB tabs daily. Not all women that have the MTHFR have to have the shots as far as I have researched. They just have to monitor your homocysteine levels throughout your pregnancy. Praise God for keeping you and Will safe! We have a great BIG God that Loves us SO! I have researched these things in the ground if you have any questions.
So cool, Jamie! I truly believe all of this is a testament to God's faithfulness to you! What a miracle and perfect timing of His wisdom!
Post a Comment