Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Cali trip numero uno

I was finally able to make it out to California June 29-July 4 to see Billy. It was a great trip, but the time just breezed by way too fast!

I flew into Sacramento, and my man was waiting for me at the bottom of the escalator with a rose and card in hand :) So....after a very long embrace hello, and about an hour of catching up at the airport (lol), we were off to meet the first set of grandparents."G & G B." I got to drive the "other girl" Mayble...which made me a little nervous ("she's how many tons Billy?")...but I was honored at the chance to drive this big ole' girl of a truck.

The visit was great, as we got to hear stories about Grandpa B's adventures in Texas...and how he met Grandma B...and how he makes the best chile relleno's on the planet (which Billy now claims he is going to learn how to do- knowing my passion for this delicioso dish).

I was a house-sitter the first two nights for one of Billy's associate pastors. One of my duties was to feed Link, their very loveable, very large, but friendly kitty. I took care of the hamster, fish, and flowers too :)

My second day there, Billy came to pick me up and said he had a present for me out front..so of course, I was a little antsy to figure out what it was....he rented a convertible for our day of driving! The reservations he had made for a Crossfire fell through (what a bummer) but they had one mustang (black-ooh lala) left and he snatched it up for us. Fun times! We drove the entire day with the top down...he showed me around his city of Woodland (ironic), to see the house he grew up in, and even the huge Mimosa tree (my fave) he climbed as a little boy. We met his roomates, Nathan and Nick, his chinchilla Buddy and enjoyed his well manicured lawn (Mr. Horticulturist at his best) ...here's his house below...

After a great day of getting to know the city a little better, we quickly changed clothes and headed out to

SanFrancisco. We made it out to the Golden Gate lookout and it was perfect weather! There was a cool breeze, but the sun on our shoulders was just right.




We stopped downtown in Oakland at a pretty cool and quaint shopping area called Jack London Square...where we had some steaks at Tony Romas'... and then we headed out to Berkeley's Greek Theater for the Allison Krauss-Union Station- Jerry Douglas concert.

On the way, the sunset in Bay Area was so georgeous!The next day, we went to Billy's church, University Covenant, in Davis, and I met his church friends and fam. Cliff (accountability partner) isn't huge on affection, but I still gave him the hug I promised all along! Whaddaya know, he didn't die after all. :)

We met the other granparents, "G & G E." after church for some lunch. They were great, they told some fun stories, and shared their excitement for us in our new venture together, and then it happened...we actually witnessed an amazing event together...
Billy ate a mushroom for me!!!! I have to admit, it was a bonding moment that brought us all much closer. As his parents would later tell me, they had never seen him do this for anyone before. I guess I got the "powa" huh?

Then....it was off to Redding! Yee haw! His parents live in a great neighborhood on a hill...with the most amazing view of the city! It is beautful beautiful beautiful! You just stand out on their back patio, and are in awe of the mountains, and trees, and lights, and stars, and....
We went out on his parents boat! Whiskeytown Lake was incredible.



It's a national park, and I've never been on a boat on a lake without homes all around. There were Canadian geese and everything.

They even let me drive!

Billy is a very graceful wakeboarder, and he used his skills at slalom skiing too....
I, however, only ventured out on the tube.


The original idea was for Billy and I to tube together, but after he launched me in our attempt to even get ON the tube...we figured it wasn't the greatest of ideas. Besides, his mom and I had much more fun laughing and screaming our heads off!

We ate some great burgers
at In and Out

and went on a few walks, around the area, and the sundial bridge....that was really cool getting to see people walk above us on the plexi-glass....We also cooked for his parents one evening. I made my aunts potato salad, baked beans, ranch dressing and sweet raspberry tea, Billy made the salad, garlic bread and his famous Tri-Tip Beef on the grill....yummmm. (Isn't he handsome?)
To finish off a great meal, his mom made the best homemade icecream with fresh strawberries! Hmm mmm.

(can't forget Emma) It was a great visit getting to know the fam, and I can't wait to spend time with all of them, (but mostly Billy) again!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How fun!! I love all the stories and pics :)

Billy will have to come down to give BJ and I a lesson in grilling...we haven't the faintest clue. But I want to learn!

Mama PC said...

i'm so happy for you!!!